CAGE - 2012
by Eduardo de Souza Bonadia
Cage is an American band of heavy / power metal that emerged in the late 90's when the horrible grunge music luckily was in its last gasps of life and has since launched a series of great albums that came to magnify the heavy music with great quality and an instrumental peso.Alem always precise and energy they have in their lead singer and co-founder Sean Peck a phenomenal set of lungs. Here Sean himself very honestly and willingly responded to our exclusive. Here it
Hi Sean, thanks a lot for the interview, it´s a great honour for us from Stryke!
- When and who have the idea to began the band and why CAGE?Did you have any musical experiences before the band??
Cage started in 1992 when the two bands CRUSHER and NOMAD broke up. The remains of those two formed CAGE. The old drummer came up w the name and we loved it and trademarked it. I was in NOMAD and a band called TAX EVASION before that.
- Unveiled and Astronomy are two of my fave band cds,how did you developed all compositions contained on both discs??it was released among the alternative rock plague and had positive responses. For me in that particular band CAGE were a new and fresh band playing true metal with influences coming from Judas Priest,Savatage,Armored Sanit ,with own talent, great vocals and precise instrumental...
- Can you please give us your personal opinion from each of the band albums?
UNVEILED really broke out fast for us it was just the right time for a classic , true metal album like that as people were hiding in the closet longing for some good shit. A lot of people still like that as their favorite cd still. It had some real good songs on it. ASTROLOGY was a major step up primarily because we got a great drummer in the band who took what we could do to the next level. That allowed our song writing to flourish and it had probably the most progressive metal sound that we had ever done. ASTROLOGY looked great and had some classic tracks on it as well. The media loved it and we played most of the European festivals upon that release.
- Which are your influences as vocalist and when did you discover your own talents to sing?
I was just a kid who made funny voices in class and did not get into heavy metal until late in my career. I would run around my room in high school screaming and singing to Judas Priest albums and pretending I was on a big stage performing. Kind of like air guitar. I did not sing until I was in college and some guys at a party were jamming and had no singer. I grabbed the mic and they asked me to join. I am still perfecting my technique and of course Halford Dickenson and Tate and Midnight were big influences. Halford of course is the best and was the biggest of them all and over the years I have developed my own unique sound.
- Which are the another band members influences as musicians??
Dave loves Black Sabbath, Norm and Steve love thrash and some death and black metal so you get a good mix of all the stuff w CAGE. I am a more classic metal guy but definitely have expanded my horizons since the eighties and listen to all kinds of metal now. I think it is a real strength to meld all the different styles into our sound but yet keeping what CAGE is intact. Since Norm came in everything has definitely gotten thrashier and heavier.
- CAGE had some line-up changes in your history which doens´t prejudice the band cause each album sounded more powerful than the previous one??which are the reasons for the former band departures and how do you see the actual line-up?
Like I said when Norm came in on drums for science of annihilation it really allowed us to go where Dave and I wanted to go. Now with Supremacy of Steel and the addition of Steve Brogden on guitars we have continued the speed metal, power thrash sound and mixed in some mid tempo stuff. We had the same line up for 11 years and then 2 quick changes but the results of the new album have us even higher rated than ever before so I think we made the transition well. Anthony had a child and could not do it anymore and Mikey G had some family issues he had to attend to. We wished the guys well and still love them as metal brothers!
- Which are the themes used in band´s lyrics mostly??Hell Destroyer (another true classic) for example in Brasil let many fans thinking Cage is a Christian metal band...
Well most of us in the band are Christians and we have played some great Christian metal fests and have a killer following of Christian metal fans. We are first a metal band and other labels to us are not as important as we don’t like to be pinned down into any one genre and therefore be limited by it. HELL DESTROYER obviously is all about it but the last two albums have had far less references not on purpose that is just how it came out. We like writing about all different kinds of things to keep it interesting but the light always seems to find a way to shine through the darkness at the end of most of our metal tales.
- Do you think that "true" metal is back in the USA or the trendies still rules??
In a way it is but it is still very underground. The kids love it and when they see and hear us the go crazy so that is a really good sign. We play lots of all ages shows with death and hardcore bands and then when we get up there the kids are blown away. I love it! true metal is still very underground but it is what we love so we keep rocking on.
- In your opinion where the bangers really prefers the band and why?
I think it is the kind of music that is the foundation for all other forms of metal so there is something for everyone to enjoy and appreciate. We concentrate on ripping killer songs and you have to have a good song. Then when you throw in how we look and perform live and then when my voice hits them it makes people say “Holy fuck what is this!!” I love it when hardcore metal heads first discover us and freak out. We are still unknown to lots of people and it is always said people do not know why we are not huge and more popular because we kill it etc. we just need to tour more. We have a ton of great songs from these last twenty years and are unmatched live for our genre so that is the plan Brazil 2013!!!
- Did you never receive offers from bigger labels to sign?
We do but have found our own way to distribute the product that allows us to make money where we can tour on our own and produce top notch products. Anyone who ordered the pre order pak can tell you it was loaded full of killer stuff no label would have ever considered producing or giving away for such a low price.
- How did you got in Empires Of Eden??i still didnt hear the album but i think the cast is excellent.
My old manager contacted me and said Stu Marshall wanted me to sing on a track because he was a huge CAGE fan. We hooked up on Skype and started piecing the song together and it came out great. He flew out years later and visited us and played some songs with us on stage out here which was really fun and he asked me to sing on his recent album as well.
- Supremacy Of Steel were your last release until now, please, talk about it, are you satisfied with the productions, musical skills, etc???
Well things can always be better but the reviews in Europe were probably our best so something must be kicking people’s asses. I love it and it rips your face off once BLOODSTEEL launches. Everyone played great on it and I once again was pushed to the limit ha! It came together really quick and was a lot of fun to make. The artwork on the cover and booklet are second to none and the songs rip all the way through. we are very proud of it and Dave did a good job producing it.
- Do you receive any offers to play in Brasil?I think it´s the right time
Yes late 2013 or early 2014 is the plan it has been too long but we are committed to finally make it happen. We get cries from all of South America to come play and we love the Mexican fans so much we know the SA and Brazil fans are probably going to be even crazier!
- Any future plans and something to add
Thanks to all our fans we love to hear from you so please stay in touch on www.cageheavymetal.com and www.facebook.com/cageofficial we love talking on the messenger sites to all the people as you know metal heads are the coolest people on Earth Hailz!!!
Darker Than Black 2003
Hell Destroyer 2007
Science Of Annihilation 2009
Supremacy Of Steel 2011
The Rise To Power